Monday 5 March 2012

Style Rediscovered-my Gucci 1994( I think!) shoes

At the risk of reminiscing I'm going to tell you a bitter sweet fabulous fashion moment.  Picture the scene: I was a fashion student at the Royal College of Art and I'd won an internship at Karl Lagerfeld in Paris.OOH! what to wear? Every day was a massive ordeal to concoct an outfit. And OH! how I lusted after these Gucci stilettos. I even had a picture of them on the wall of my Paris attic apartment.
For 3 months, everyday, I scrupulously composed outfit after outfit from my vintage finery. I strived that each look would achieve just the right mix of style, insouciance and fashion forecasting, and that whilst wearing it I'd be being able to perform the tasks of a fashion design intern without falling over, sweating to death or (the worst!) looking DULL!
 One day preshow Liz Tilberis came into the studio to preview the catwalk looks.  She was then Editor of Vogue. I had only just got over my daily awe of Karl and now had Liz Tilberis standing right there in the black version of  my object of desire-these shoes. After my initial' hello, how do you do?', imagine my surprise as I heard myself launch into a stream of concsiousness  ''I love your shoes, I'm saving up to buy them, they are my favourites, I love the new look Gucci, blah blah blah... I continued , as LT incredulously looked on at me!Eventually, my diatribe faded  as Karl said something like  ''So, Ve look at the clothes,no?!''
 and I sat, uncomfortably, down, silenced, staring at my rather lacking footwear.
 Anyway I HAD been saving and I bought the shoes ( in tan- although I still wish I had them in black!!) and as you can see I wore them just the other day again for the first time since those days of youth and crippling embarrassment. Now I'm only crippled by the shoes! They just look right again...
 I'm wearing them with a vintage fur jacket( type unknown) and my current favourite jumper a gold knt from Zara topshop Baxter skinnies



No comments:

Post a Comment